Job title: Extension Officer
Title: Extension Officer
Reports To: Project Manager
Job Duration: 1-year
Location: Bulambuli, Uganda, East Africa
About the Mount Elgon Tree Growing Enterprise
The Mount Elgon Tree Growing Enterprise (METGE) is a non-governmental organization (NGO) established in 2017 with its headquarters in Mbale City, eastern Uganda. Our Mission is to enable individuals and communities to see the benefits of growing and mitigating the effects of climate change providing sustainable supplies of fuel, shelter, and food, and alleviating poverty for today and future generations.
METGE is dedicated to mitigating and adapting to climate change, and the alleviation of poverty through the planting of trees. Our work is concentrated in the Mount Elgon region of eastern Uganda currently covering the Districts of Mbale, Namisindwa, Manafwa, Sironko, Bunambuli, Bududa, and Bukedea. METGE is working through implementing partners and its role is to coordinate programme implementation.
METGE has received one-year funding from the International Tree Foundation (ITF). The purpose of the project is to restore degraded parts of Mount Elgon National Park (MENP) as well as promote agroforestry at the Community/National Park interface. The project will be implemented in the Mayiyi and Ganzo parishes of Bumugibole and Masira Sub-counties of Bulambuli District respectively. Therefore, METGE is inviting applications for the position of the Extension Officer.
To spearhead community outreach for increased adoption of sustainable agroforestry and livelihood practices by farmers, and stewardship for the restoration of degraded sites in Mount Elgon National Park (MENP).
• Teamwork Adaptability
• Analytical Thinking
• Decision Making
• Planning and Organizing
• Problem Solving
• Networking and Relationship Building
• Profile existing community groups and mobilize individual farmers into groups for effective outreach support activities of the programme.
• Support the organization and conducting of farmer groups training in proper land use planning and adoption of sustainable agroforestry practices.
• Supervise the restoration of demarcated sites in the Mount Elgon National Park and ensure the survival of planted trees.
• Conduct routine field monitoring visits through data collection to ensure that farmers have adopted and implemented programme interventions.
• Take the lead in setting up agroforestry demonstration plots as learning sites for communities and learning through farmer field schools (FFS).
• Supervise the establishment and management of a standard tree nursery to produce high-quality tree seedlings for planting. Provide support in promoting the community-led adoption of energy-efficient technologies, beekeeping, and other livelihood interventions.
• Provide technical guidance to farmer groups on how to establish income-generating activities.
• Prepare and submit timely work plans, activities, and monthly and quarterly reports to the project manager.
• Document project progress, success stories, and lessons learned through the submission of comprehensive monthly reports to the project manager.
• Ensure that tree nursery records are updated, and the data is entered into the METGE’s data system timely.
• Provide support in developing training manuals and other materials to aid community awareness.
• Carry out any such project-related assignments as may be given by the project supervisor from time to time.
Qualification, skills, and experience
• The ideal candidate must hold a diploma in forestry, agroforestry, agriculture, or crop production from a recognized institution.
• Minimum 3 years’ work experience in reforestation with a reputable Organization.
• Experience in supervising other workers (both formal and informal) is an added advantage.
• Technical skills in project planning and implementation.
• Fluency in English and a relevant local language (specifically Lugishu)
• Basic computer skills i.e., MS Office open data collection kits.
• A valid motorcycle riding permit is a must.
• Must be willing to reside in the project implementation location (Buginyanya)
A competitive salary package will be offered to the successful candidates.
Send a letter of application stating why you believe you have the necessary skills and experience for the position applied to email@example.com, copy firstname.lastname@example.org. Attach a detailed curriculum vitae and communication details of three (3) referees, one must be your current or most recent employer as one file (max size 5MB). The deadline to receive applications is Friday 25th October 2023 at 17:00 hrs.
Note: Copies of degree and other certificates are not required at this stage