Title: Communication and Marketing Officer
Reports To: Executive Director
Job Duration: 1 year and 5 months (17 months)
Location: Mbale, Uganda, East Africa
- About the Mount Elgon Tree Growing Enterprise
The Mount Elgon Tree Growing Enterprise (METGE) is a non-governmental organization (NGO) established in 2017 with its headquarters in Mbale City, eastern Uganda. Our Mission is to enable individuals and communities to see the benefits of growing and mitigating the effects of climate change providing sustainable supplies of fuel, shelter, and food, and alleviating poverty for today and future generations.
METGE is dedicated to mitigating and adapting to climate change, and the alleviation of poverty through the planting of trees. Our work is concentrated in the Mount Elgon region of eastern Uganda currently covering the Districts of Mbale, Namisindwa, Manafwa, Sironko, Bulambuli, Bududa, and Bukedea. METGE is working through implementing partners and its role is to coordinate programme implementation.
METGE is implementing the Tree Planting Programme (TPP) generously funded by the Size of Wales charity and the Welsh Government from the UK to combat climate change and to enhance the well-being of rural communities in Eastern Uganda. The Mbale TPP commenced in 2010 and at present METGE has raised and distributed over 23 million tree seedlings to individual farmers, communities, and institutions in the seven Districts we operate in. METGE is on course to achieve the 25 million target of tree seedlings distributed free of charge to smallholder farmers by 2025. Its aspiration is to plant 50 million tree seedlings by 2030.
Over the period 2020/21, METGE has made significant investments and witnessed growth both in its capacity to produce tree seedlings and the requisite infrastructure to establish and maintain nurseries. Part of the capacity investments has been in establishing an effective and efficient communication mechanism to reach out to different stakeholders. METGE therefore is at an exciting phase of its evolution and expectations are high to deliver at pace.
The Marketing and Communication Officer will be responsible for the development and supervision of all marketing and communications strategies of METGE. This individual will entail enhancing the visibility of METGE and its activities through appropriate publicity and marketing to various stakeholders including the Government (Central and District Local Governments), other civil society organizations, potential supporters and donors, plus communities in the target areas. The incumbent will oversee all internal and external communications for METGE, ensuring its messaging is consistent and engaging. She/he will be charged with preparing materials for promoting METGE visibility.
- Core Competencies
• Teamwork Adaptability
• Analytical Thinking
• Decision Making
• Planning and Organizing
• Problem Solving
• Networking and Relationship Building
- Key Duties and Responsibilities:
• Providing strategic communications to benefit METGE, the Board of Directors, and donors.
• Provide marketing and communications planning
• Develop professional marketing and communications strategy for METGE to ensure that appropriate -communication channels, both digital and non-digital are utilized.
• Work with the Executive Director to assess information and communication needs, set goals, develop appropriate objectives, strategies, and implementation
• Develop and manage METGE’s brand
• Develop Information Education and Communication (IEC) materials to promote incidental learning among communities about the programme and other challenges faced by rural communities.
• Develop quarterly publications showing the success stories from the field and stakeholders
• Work with beneficiary communities and capture their feedback and case studies on programme interventions and related issues.
• Liaising with other members of the senior management team to ensure all stakeholders are engaged in effective communication.
• Participate in routine communication meetings with donors
• Perform any other duties as assigned by the Supervisor.
- Qualification, skills, and experience
• Ability to differentiate and develop communications that are appropriate for a local, national, and international audience.
• Substantial proven experience in working with reputable international organizations (preferably an NGO)
• Degree in Journalism and Communication or related field
• 3 – 5 years of work experience in the sector including the handling of corporate communications, original writing and editing, and some public relations.
• Excellent understanding and familiarity with brand building and brand management.
• Demonstrated proficiency in internet marketing techniques, technologies, and solutions.
• Experience in working with implementing donor projects.
• Strong demonstration of analytical strategic thinking and advocacy skills
• Excellent report writing and communication skills in English
• A good working knowledge and familiarity with IT including Microsoft Office, Adobe Suite, website designing, social media platforms, etc.
• Capability to develop communication materials for target identified audience with clear messages
• Strong presentation, written, and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to manage confidentiality for sensitive information
• Good communication skills and ability to conduct training and awareness
• Good organizational and management skills
• People management skills
• Ability to build strong relationships with a range of stakeholders
• Able to drive and ride with a valid license
A competitive salary package will be offered to the successful candidates.
- Application process
Send a letter of application stating why you believe you have the necessary skills and experience for the position applied to firstname.lastname@example.org, copy email@example.com
Attach a detailed curriculum vitae and communication details of three (3) referees, one must be your current or most recent employer as one file (max size 5MB).
The deadline to receive applications is Friday 25th October 2023 at 17:00 hrs.
Note: Copies of degree and other certificates are not required at this stage